Data governance as a service - DGaaS
E.ON uses erwin by Quest for success
What is DGaaS?
Data governance is the process of managing the availability, usability, integrity, and security of the data used in an organization.
Data governance as a service (DGaaS) is a cloud-based solution that enables organizations to outsource their data governance needs to a third-party provider.
Here are some reasons Why you should consider using DGaaS:
- Cost-effective: DGaaS can be a cost-effective solution for organizations that don't have the resources to build and maintain their own data governance infrastructure. By outsourcing data governance to a third-party provider, organizations can benefit from economies of scale and reduce their overall costs.
- Expertise: DGaaS providers have a team of experts who are well-versed in data governance best practices and can provide guidance and support to organizations. This expertise can be particularly valuable for organizations that are new to data governance or lack in-house expertise.
- Scalability: DGaaS providers can scale their services up or down based on an organization's needs. This makes it easy for organizations to adjust their data governance capabilities as their needs change over time.
- Customization: DGaaS providers can tailor their services to meet the specific needs of an organization. This includes developing policies and procedures that align with an organization's goals and objectives.
- Security: DGaaS providers typically have robust security measures in place to protect their clients' data. This can provide organizations with peace of mind knowing that their data is being managed and protected by experts.
Overall, DGaaS can be a valuable solution for organizations that want to improve their data governance capabilities but don't have the resources or expertise to do so on their own. By outsourcing their data governance needs to a third-party provider, organizations can reduce costs, benefit from expertise, and ensure the security and integrity of their data.
Read how E.ON succeeded in this challenge with erwin by Quest.
The digital transformation challenge
E.ON is an international, privately owned energy supplier based in Essen, Germany, with approximately 73,000 employees. With a clear focus on three strong core businesses — Energy Networks, Customer Solutions and Renewables — the company aims to become the partner of choice for energy and customer solutions. As part of its digital transformation and innovation efforts, E.ON was determined to achieve better governance over its rapidly expanding sources of data — and leverage them for maximum impact.
Solution with data intelligence
The company realized that taking better advantage of data and data intelligence would help improve customer services, increase efficiency in energy production, and make it easier to meet the regulatory requirements of the countries where E.ON operates. erwin Data Intelligence by Quest was deployed for automated metadata management, data harvesting, data lineage documentation and impact analysis.
• Identification of more than 8 million Euros in business impact after 18 months
• Rapidly scaling metadata management capabilities, with 44 data domains defined, 175 users trained, and 550 business terms created
• Ensuring a common, compliant way of working across all RUs and BUs, based on standards, roles, policies and understanding
• Estimated potential savings of 30 percent on external data management costs and a 50 percent reduction in time spent on data discovery
• Delivering “data governance as a service” for one-stop data access and lineage
May we help?
If you want to be up to date with the latest technologies and solutions available, subscribe to our newsletter here!